What is Graphic Design?
Graphic means something related to visual art, the process of communication with people and solving problems through it with the help of typography, photography, demonstration and illustration is Graphic Design.
Typography is an art of communicating with letters, calligraphy and symbols. It is the art and technique of arranging type to make written language legible, readable, and appealing when displayed. Photography is an art of creating durable images with the help of recording media, light and a subject. Demonstrating and illustrating the subject by the combination of above two methods is Graphic Designing.
Scope of Graphic Designing
Almost everywhere graphic design is showing its presence nowadays. From logos, sinages, hoardings, packaging and branding. In entertainment industry also it holds its broader perspective. It is used to create a scene and adds to the art story telling. Novels’ cover pages, album covers, DVD covers, opening and closing credits in film making etc. proves its immense role.
Creative and imaginative skills are needed to be a graphic designer, out of box thinking, proper use of resources and presenting it beautifully incorporating all the elements in traditional or digital form are the major techniques necessitated. Designers can hire photographers or illustrators to create authentic pieces and can use digital tools to communicate well and market their designs.
There are artists who uses conventional methods for designing and other are more biased towards computers. Artists are more disposed towards hybrid scheme as it provides them speedy and more arrays to choose from.
There is a beaming career in future if you opt to have full time course in Graphic Designing, these schools and universities offers diploma and degree courses and are also providing flexible courses, which can be taken parallel with any conventional commerce or science stream.
Below listed are few universities:
- NID (National Institute of Design), Ahmedabad
- IDC, IIT Bombay
- Pearl Academy, (Delhi, Mumbai, Jaipur)
- NIFT, Delhi
- MAEER’S MIT Institute of Design, Pune
- Srishti School of Art Design and Technology, (Bengaluru, Pune, Trivandrum)
- Indian School of Design and Innovation, (Mumbai)
- GD Goenka School of Fashion & Design, (Mumbai)
- Sir J J Institute of Applied Art, (Mumbai)
- Delhi College of Art, Delhi
- DOD (Department of Design), IIT Guwahati
- DJ Academy of Design, Tamil Nadu
- Amity School of Fine Arts, Noida
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- Shri Venkateshwara College of Fine Arts, Hyderabad
Occupation in Graphic Designing:
Bestowing a degree from an esteemed university you can be a:
- Creative Director
- Art Director
- Art Production Manager
- Hands-on Graphic Designer
- Brand identity Developer
- Broadcast Designers
- Logo Designer
- Visual Image Developer
- Multimedia Developer
- Content Developer
- Visual Journalist
- Layout artist
- Interface Designer
- Web Designer
- Package Designer
Every day new courses are designed to add more into the syllabus of graphic designing, more methods, techniques, and programs will be upgraded in forthcoming years. Employment in design will hike by about 40%.
Graphic designers can work with one company or an organization and can have comprehensive employment there, or they can freelance without worrying about their creativity limit, space required for working is less and the initial investment is also nominal. A designer can create his/her own brand and name whilst working on their terms, prices, and ideas.
With the advancement in technology, one can start to with the help of computer integrated software such as:
- Adobe Design
- Serif Drawplus
- Xara Xtreme
- Corel PaintShop
- Corel PhotoImpact
- Google Sketch-Up
- Cinema 4D
- ACDSEE Photo Editor
- Adobe Creative Cloud
- Affinity Designer
- Dreamweaver etc.
Before using this software, one should have a clear idea of what he/she wants to do! It can be to edit a photo, create a logo, remove any unwanted objects from a picture, post it beautifully on social media, make a postcard or edit a video.
Due to this complexity, a graphic designer may have his/her specialization in UX or UI.
UX designer makes the experience of people using a site, app or any too easy and not confusing.
UI designer makes the aesthetic approach, it involves how people navigate through a site, app or tool using elements such as buttons, menus, color, and images.
In a broader perspective graphic designing can be bifurcated into 11 subtypes:
- Corporate Design– To design the visual identity of organizations and brands such as logos.
- Publishing– The cover and layout of magazines, brochures, cover pages of novels and other publications.
- Environmental Design– Safety and preventive publications guiding the danger of natural calamity. Visual elements used in environments such as architecture and transportation. For example, landslide etc.
- Advertising– Designs and graphics for advertisements in magazines, newspapers, and hoardings.
- Product Design– Packaging of a product such as visual elements on a toy or a package for an electrical device.
- Web Design– Web designers codes and generates a website imbibing the aesthetic approach with images, layouts, and hyperlinks.
- Interfaces– UI and UX designers, to ease the usage of an app, tool or a website.
- Production Design– Designers will use create a set of any movie, theatre or stage show, it can be a recreational park or any set.
- Video Game Art– Developing graphics and elements for video games.
- Signage– Commercial and public signs such as billboards, murals, street signs and store signs.
- Communication Design– A broader perspective in any form such as hoarding, newspaper advertisement, animation, literature, video, presentation etc.
If you have passion or fever for art and want to convert your creativity as a career, then the best vocation is to be a Graphic Designer.
Disclaimer:- All The IMAGES/PICTURES shown in the article belongs to the respected owners and not me. I am not the owner of Image showed in the article.